I am a freelance literary translator working from German and Spanish into English.
I have a special interest in books for children and young adults. My first translated children’s book was published in August 2019 and I am currently working on my debut full-length YA novel translation.
I am co-editor for the World Kid Lit Blog, highlighting the importance of translated and world books for children. Join us throughout September for #WorldKidLitMonth. You can learn more about the importance of global literature for children and young people by reading my piece on the Lantana Publishing blog.
This interest in children’s literature is not exclusive and I attended the British Centre for Literary Translation Summer School in 2018 and the Warwick Translates Summer School in 2019. In January 2020, I was shortlisted for the biennial Goethe-Institut Award for New Translation and in October 2020 I was shortlisted for the Austrian Cultural Forum London Translation Prize, in the category for aspiring translators. I was also awarded a Special Commendation from the Institute of Translation and Interpreting (ITI) in the 2019 ITI Awards category for Best Newcomer. My translations have appeared in the Lunch Ticket Literary Journal from Antioch University, USA and Latin American Literature Today.
- MA in Translation Studies with Distinction from the University of Bristol
- Postgraduate Certificate with Distinction in Translation Studies from the University of Portsmouth
- First Class BA (Hons) in German and Spanish from the University of Wales, Bangor
- Dr. Barbara Saunderson Prize for German
- One semester studying at the University of Innsbruck, Austria
- One semester studying at the University of Valladolid, Spain
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Linguists (MCIL)
- Affiliate Member of the Institute of Translation and Interpreting
- Coordinator of the East Midlands Regional Group of the ITI
- Associate Member of the Society of Authors
- World Kid Lit Month – ITI Bulletin (Sept/Oct 2020)
- Little White Lie by Iris Mónica Vargas – Latin American Literature Today (August 2020)
- Swearing in children’s books – ITI Bulletin (Jan/Feb 2020)
- Torn between two lives by Julya Rabinowich – Lunch Ticket Literary journal
- Making a difference, volunteering in schools – The Linguist from the Chartered Institute of Linguists (Oct/Nov 2019)
- A review of translated children’s books – ITI Bulletin (Nov/Dec 2018)
- Interview with award-winning translator Ellen Worrell – ITI student journal, IgnITIon
- Baby Steps: parenting with a career in languages – ITI Bulletin (March/April 2018)
I have just read through the text and I must say I am delighted with your work. Many, many thanks – the whole thing is so imaginative and inviting; just as I had hoped – and even better.
Thomas Böcker, Merregnon Studios
Since Claire joined my team, I have been much impressed by her work. She is reliable and thorough, and it is obvious that she takes the trouble to check or query any doubtful items. She always sends in work, be it translations or editing, on time. She would be a valuable addition to any team.
Mirella Biagi, International Choral Bulletin
To contact me, please follow this link here.Follow @ClaireStorey16