I am a freelance literary translator working from German and Spanish into English.
- Translations published in Latin American Literature Today and the Lunch Ticket Literary Journal from Antioch University, USA
- Shortlisted for the 2020 Goethe-Institut Award for New Translation
- Shortlisted for the 2020 Austrian Cultural Forum London Translation Prize, in the category for aspiring translators.
- Special Commendation from the Institute of Translation and Interpreting (ITI) in the 2019 ITI Awards category for Best Newcomer
- Warwick Translates Summer School in 2019
- British Centre for Literary Translation Summer School in 2018
I have a special interest in books for children and young adults.
- Co-editor for the World Kid Lit Blog, highlighting the importance of translated and world books for children
- Guest blogger for the Lantana Publishing blog about the importance of global and translated literature for children and young people
- Panelist at the inaugural Young Adult Studies Association Conference in a round-table event about YA in Translation
- MA in Translation Studies with Distinction from the University of Bristol
- Postgraduate Certificate with Distinction in Translation Studies from the University of Portsmouth
- First Class BA (Hons) in German and Spanish from the University of Wales, Bangor
- Dr. Barbara Saunderson Prize for German
- One semester studying at the University of Innsbruck, Austria
- One semester studying at the University of Valladolid, Spain
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Linguists (MCIL)
- Affiliate Member of the Institute of Translation and Interpreting
- Coordinator of the East Midlands Regional Group of the ITI
- Associate Member of the Society of Authors
- Forthcoming: Dazwischen: ich by Julya Rabinowich, to be published by Andersen Press in 2022
- Where’s Claire by Tim Hess, a personalised children’s book (Librio)
- Globi’s Fantastic Adventure by Boni Koller and Daniel Frick (Librio)
- Today you can’t play by Pilar Serrano and Canizales (Nube Ocho)
Literary Journal Publications
- Little White Lie by Iris Mónica Vargas – Latin American Literature Today
- Torn between two lives by Julya Rabinowich – Lunch Ticket Literary Journal
- World Kid Lit Month – ITI Bulletin (Sept/Oct 2020)
- Swearing in children’s books – ITI Bulletin (Jan/Feb 2020)
- Making a difference, volunteering in schools – The Linguist from the Chartered Institute of Linguists (Oct/Nov 2019)
- A review of translated children’s books – ITI Bulletin (Nov/Dec 2018)
- Interview with award-winning translator Ellen Worrell – ITI student journal, IgnITIon
- Baby Steps: parenting with a career in languages – ITI Bulletin (March/April 2018)
I have just read through the text and I must say I am delighted with your work. Many, many thanks – the whole thing is so imaginative and inviting; just as I had hoped – and even better.
Thomas Böcker, Merregnon Studios
Since Claire joined my team, I have been much impressed by her work. She is reliable and thorough, and it is obvious that she takes the trouble to check or query any doubtful items. She always sends in work, be it translations or editing, on time. She would be a valuable addition to any team.
Mirella Biagi, International Choral Bulletin
To contact me, please follow this link here.Follow @ClaireStorey16