I am a freelance translator working from German and Spanish into English.
- Textiles and Soft Furnishings
I spent five years working in the soft furnishings industry prior to my career in translation.
I hold a City & Guilds National Vocational Qualification (NVQ) Level 3 in Travel Services.
- Parenting and children’s products
I was a stay-at-home Mum for eight years. In that time I have read widely about parenting, covering such topics as childhood anxiety and “gentle” parenting.
I particularly enjoy translating PR texts, such as press releases and company presentations. I have also translated journalistic articles for environmental NGO Mongabay LatAm. An example of these articles can be found here.
I have a passion for literary translation, with a special interest in books for children and young adults. My first translated children’s book is due for publication in 2019.
In July 2018, I attended the Summer School run by the British Centre for Literary Translation.
I wrote an article about my World Kid Lit Challenge and a World Kid Lit Review for the ITI Bulletin.
- MA in Translation Studies at the University of Bristol (ongoing)
- Postgraduate Certificate with Distinction in Translation Studies from the University of Portsmouth
- First Class BA (Hons) in German and Spanish from the University of Wales, Bangor
- Dr. Barbara Saunderson Prize for German
- One semester studying at the University of Innsbruck, Austria
- One semester studying at the University of Valladolid, Spain
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Linguists (MCIL)
- Student Member of the Institute of Translation and Interpeting (ITI)
- Coordinator of the East Midlands Regional Group of the ITI
In 2018, I had two articles published by The Bulletin, the Journal for the Institute of Translation and Interpreting:
- Baby Steps: parenting with a career in languages (March/April 2018)
- A review of translated children’s fiction (Nov/Dec 2018)
I also interviewed award-winning translator Ellen Worrell for an article that was published in the ITI student journal, IgnITIon.
“Since Claire joined my team, I have been much impressed by her work. She is reliable and thorough, and it is obvious that she takes the trouble to check or query any doubtful items. She always sends in work, be it translations or editing, on time. She would be a valuable addition to any team.” Mirella Biagi, International Choral Bulletin
“Queremos compartir, con todos, nuestro agradecimiento a Claire Storey una de nuestras generosas traductoras del Reino Unido, que ha contribuido solidariamente con una excelente traducción al inglés de uno de nuestros libros y numerosos artículos” (We want to share with everyone our thanks to Claire Storey, one of our generous translators from the UK, who has contributed to our cause by means of an excellent translation of one our books and several articles) Esteban Rojas Nieto, La atención al presente