I am a professional freelance translator working from German and Spanish into English. In May 2019, I was awarded a Special Commendation from the Institute of Translation and Interpreting (ITI) in the ITI Awards category Best Newcomer (Freelancing).
I have a passion for literary translation, with a special interest in books for children and young adults. My first translated children’s book was published in August 2019 and my work has featured in the Lunch Ticket Literary Journal from Antioch University, USA.
You can read why I think translated and world books for children are so important on the Lantana Publishing blog.
I have attended the British Centre for Literary Translation Summer School (2018) and the Warwick Translates Summer School (2019).
I love reading new books and sharing my reviews. Please take a look at my book reviews for some of my recent reads. I am one of the editors writing for the World Kid Lit Blog and I contribute to the Global Lit in Libraries Initiative.
- MA in Translation Studies with Distinction from the University of Bristol (to be awarded February 2020)
- Postgraduate Certificate with Distinction in Translation Studies from the University of Portsmouth
- First Class BA (Hons) in German and Spanish from the University of Wales, Bangor
- Dr. Barbara Saunderson Prize for German
- One semester studying at the University of Innsbruck, Austria
- One semester studying at the University of Valladolid, Spain
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Linguists
- Affiliate Member of the Institute of Translation and Interpreting
- Coordinator of the East Midlands Regional Group of the ITI
- Associate Member of the Society of Authors
- Swearing in children’s books – ITI Bulletin (Jan/Feb 2020)
- Making a difference, volunteering in schools – The Linguist from the Chartered Institute of Linguists (Oct/Nov 2019)
- A review of translated children’s books – ITI Bulletin (Nov/Dec 2018)
- Interview with award-winning translator Ellen Worrell – ITI student journal, IgnITIon
- Baby Steps: parenting with a career in languages – ITI Bulletin (March/April 2018)
I have just read through the text and I must say I am delighted with your work. Many, many thanks – the whole thing is so imaginative and inviting; just as I had hoped – and even better.
Thomas Böcker, Merregnon Studios
Since Claire joined my team, I have been much impressed by her work. She is reliable and thorough, and it is obvious that she takes the trouble to check or query any doubtful items. She always sends in work, be it translations or editing, on time. She would be a valuable addition to any team.
Mirella Biagi, International Choral Bulletin
To contact me, please follow this link here.Follow @ClaireStorey16